Time for giving
The holidays are here, highlighting that this is the season for sharing moments and gifts with family and friends. It also signals the time for supporting philanthropic endeavors. If you are like me, you are already receiving numerous requests for donations. 1) Because the spirit of giving is in the air and 2) it’s another way to minimize your tax liability before December 31st. Whatever is motivating you to contribute, it’s a chance to have a positive effect on the world.
As I consider the many organizations that request my support, I find sometimes determining who I will support overwhelming. There are so many great causes and non-profits who are doing life changing work. How do I decide? I figure if I’m having this issue so are others. So I thought why don’t I share criteria I use in determining which organization(s) to support.
Here are some of my considerations:
- What causes are you passionate about?
- Evaluate if your passions fall under a specific category? (For me, I like to support organizations that support women and children.)
- Consider organizations that have been impactful to you during your lifetime.
- What size organization do you want to support?
- Do you want to support local (grassroots) or national organizations?
- Do your due diligence on the organization(s) prior to donating? (Use resources like Guidestar and Charity Navigator to assist you with this process.)
- Determine the amount you would like to donate per year?
- Are there other ways to support them, besides financial, where you can continue to support them throughout the year?
As you make your final plans for the holidays, reflect on this quote:
“A simple act of kindness can make a tremendous impact on a person’s life [or the world].”